How I overcome my fear of writing in English




One of my philosophies in life is to start small.  And so far, it seems working.
Perhaps 8 years ago I started paying attention to what I cook, and how I cook.  Deep fried stuff has always been the 'nothing can go wrong' area.  It was also one of the reasons why my body gave up on me for a while.  After years of practicing, now I can comfortably cook with different levels of difficulties.

Well, that's about food.  The antagonist in my own plot is the one I'm doing exactly now.  Writing in English. My ultimate goal is to write a cookbook in English, together with becoming a contributing food writer in some media.

And just like that, I've been avoiding writing in English, ironically, despite my 7 year experience as an English teacher.
But fear not, I'm not going to succumb to this obstacle.  Start small. 
My husband is not happy whenever I make silly grammatical mistakes in my writing.  I have limited vocabulary, and my syntax choices are terrible.
I've been reading more often this year to improve what needs to be improved.

So what's about the picture, then?
Shumay, Siomay, can't get enough of it.  
I just came back from a short trip to Salatiga last weekend.  A hakka place serves roast pork and apparently that day they also serve today's special menu - the siomay.
They're very savory and unlike common bouncy Siomay texture in Indonesia, the siomay in this place is more firm.  The skin falls off a little bit too easy, so that's one tiny thing that bothers me.

See ya tomorrow!


Comments

Popular Posts