Remy's Strawberry and Cheese

 



A recipe by the 'little chef' himself!

It all started with Ratatouille.  God knows how many times I've watched this movie.  And for those of you thinking that Ratatouille IS the name of the mouse, it's clear you haven't watched the movie for 25 times.

Now repeat after me: Remy.  That's the mouse' name. His brother is Emile, and his father is Django.  

After this movie blew up, the dish 'ratatouille became more popular.  Of course it's been featured in a lot of Youtube cooking channels, most notably by Binging With Babish.

From tons of gastronomy references in this movie, there's one scene stuck in my brain that I can visualize today: the strawberry and cheese scene.  In this scene, Remy is sneaking to the old lady's kitchen and doing monologue to himself, explaining the magic of combining two flavors together! Of course, Emile, Remy's brother doesn't understand what the fuss is about.  Even after Remy gave him the strawberry and cheese, Emile doesn't feel the sensation.  They're just food.  

This morning, I checked on my fridge.  I just bought mediocre strawberries yesterday, I still have some crackers, and some brie cheese.  So I gathered everything, and then all the memories of watching the movie came back.  It's more than a decade ago! Since then, my relationship with food has changed.  There's always a little voice at the back of my head to write a book about food, but the shadow of self-doubt always stops me from doing so.

Now that my husband and I are preparing for an adventure, there's nothing to hold me back!

Comments

Popular Posts